Cleaning and Maintenance
Corian®, Hi-Macs® and Krion®, like all decorative materials, respond best when handled with care. On installation, your Solid Surface will have an overall satin sheen finish. It will initially show small scratches and marks but in a few months, like wood, it will acquire a smoother, more silken lustre and patina.
How to Clean Worktops, Floors & Walls
For common households spills, such as vinegar, coffee, tea, lemon juice, dyes, ketchup, red wine or vegetable spills, it is best to wipe up spills as they occur with a damp cloth. Although liquids cannot penetrate and stain, some marks, like lime scale build up and soap scum, will need more attention. For these just use a damp cloth and a mild abrasive cleaner. We recommend Cif cream cleaner or, better still, Bar Keepers Friend® stain remover powder.
How to Clean a Sink
Your sink can be cleaned following the guidelines above. Fat and oil residues of normal food preparation can be removed with a damp cloth and detergent or a hard surface cleaner. For a periodic deep clean, put half a cup of bleach in a sink of warm water and leave overnight. The exposure time should be limited to 16 hours. In the morning rinse and clean with a damp cloth. Your sink should look good as new.
- Always use a heat protection pad or trivet for hot cookware or leave cookware to cool on the hob first. Never put hot pans, particularly cast iron, directly on the top or in the sink. Such heat can damage any surface.
- Pouring boiling liquids directly into sinks without first turning on the cold tap may cause thermal stresses, which over time can cause cracks in your Solid Surface sink.
- Always use the correct sized pan on the burner and place it centrally. An overhanging pan will scorch surrounding surfaces, especially when using gas.
- Never cut or chop directly onto your Corian®, Hi-Macs® or Krion® as you will score the work surface. Use a chopping board instead.
- Dark, heavily pigmented colours will show scratches, dust and ordinary wear and tear more readily than lighter, textured colours.
- Accidental spills of strong chemicals (e.g. paint stripper, brush cleaners, metal cleaners, oven cleaners, cleaners containing Methylene Chloride, acid drain cleaners, acetone-based nail varnish removers etc) should be flushed promptly with plenty of soapy water to avoid damaging worktops.
SOLID SURFACE RENEWAL
Solid Surface is inherently ‘renewable’ because it is solid and homogeneous all the way through.
Refurbishment and Service Visits
If your installation is looking scruffy, scuffed or chipped then please contact us to arrange a service visit. We will remove any damaged silicone, fill chips and re-polish your surfaces and then re-apply new silicone sealant. Your installation will look as good as new.
Phone us immediately if anything cracks or has serious impact, heat or chemical damage. The sooner we come, the better the repair.